Chinese Style Turkey Lettuce Wraps
You know how sometimes you really feel like a taco with mince and that extra spicy sauce? Well I was going to make that but then thought I might mix it up a bit and use lettuce wraps instead of tacos. I realised I also didn't have any Mexican spices in the pantry, so Mexican morphed into Chinese!Beef mince – nope, I didn't have that but I did have some turkey mince so, yes you guessed it, that came into play too! I raided the fridge to see what I could add to the new taco – ie turkey lettuce cups and it all went in too. Surprisingly it came out so good that I'm going to share it with you now!Please don't get overwhelmed by the list of ingredients. I have shown you how to make teriyaki sauce but a shop bought jar is just as good. As you can see below, I have used shop bought hoisin sauce, because sometimes, life is just too short!!Enjoy!
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 500 g minced turkey/chicken
- 50 ml hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 handfuls beansprouts, chopped
- 1-2 red chillis, chopped optional
- 2 baby gem lettuce or equivalent
- 2-3 tbsp peanut butter optional
- 1 handful coriander optional
- 1 tsp black and white sesame seeds optional
- 40 ml soy sauce
- 10 g brown sugar
- 0.5 tsp minced ginger
- 0.5 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 20 ml water with 1 tsp cornflour mixed in
- To make the teriyaki sauce, put all the ingredients for the sauce into a pan and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for about 2-3 minutes and then leave aside.
- Chop all vegetables finely.
- Heat half the olive oil in a large wok or frying pan. Add the minced turkey/chicken and let brown on one side for around 2-3 minutes before breaking up and cooking through for a further 4-5 minutes.
- Move the mince over to one side of the pan and add the remaining oil to the freed up side. Add half the spring onions, peppers, and chilli and sauté for a minute. Then add the garlic, ginger and beansprouts and sauté for a further minute.
- Now add the teriyaki sauce, hoisin sauce, peanut butter, rice vinegar, sriracha sauce, soy sauce and sesame oil to the pan and mix in to coat everything in the sauce.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the spring onions and a handful of chopped coriander.
- Serve in the lettuce leaves and garnish with spring onions, coriander and sesame seeds.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!