Your favourite sausage rolls arranged into a wreath, with Christmas flavours of orange and sage – this party pleaser is sure to wow your family and friends.
This recipe has got to be one of the best for the festive season. Kids and adults alike will also enjoy the sharing element and it will be gone within minutes, if past experience is anything to go by!
Festive Sausage Roll Wreath
- 1 pkt ready rolled puff pastry
- 6 fat sausages
- 25 g chorizo finely chopped – optional
- 25 g breadcrumbs
- 1 pinch chilli flakes or more according to taste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 zest of orange or orange essence: 1-2 drops
- 1/2 tsp dried sage or small bunch fresh sage – finely chopped
- 1 egg beaten
- sweet chilli sauce (to serve)
- Pre heat oven to 210C (fan oven 190C), and line a large baking tray with parchment paper or foil.
- For the filling, remove the sausages from their skins. Mix them in a bowl together with the chorizo, breadcrumbs, salt, chilli flakes, sage and orange zest. Once mixed, set aside.
- Open out the puff pastry sheet on a floured surface. Cut in half lengthways, so you have two long pieces of pastry.
- Now roll the sausagemeat out, also on a floured surface, into two rolls. Each roll should be roughly the length of each of the pastry rectangles.
- Place one roll of sausagemeat onto the centre of one of the pastry rectangles. With a pastry brush, paint a line of egg-wash along the long edge of one side of the pastry. Lift the other long end of pastry,and roll it over the sausagemeat and onto the egg-washed side.Keep rolling until you have one long sausage roll.
- Do the same with the other pastry rectangle and sausagemeat roll.
- Place one long sausage roll onto the large baking sheet and shape into a semi circle. Place the second roll onto the sheet, arranging so as to complete the circle. Join the pastry where the semicircles meet, as best you can, using more egg-wash.
- Using the leftover pastry, cut out leaf or bauble shapes and place onto the wreath using egg-wash to stick. You can cover the join of the two ends with these shapes.
- Cut the wreath into bitesize sausage rolls along the circumference of the circle, taking care to leave the inner circle of pastry of the wreath still connected.
- Egg wash the whole wreath and then cut diagonal slits in each mini sausage roll.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
- Serve warm or cold with some sweet chilli sauce.