This healthy, vegan, Spiced Sweet Potato and Carrot soup is so simple and quick to make that it will quickly become a staple in your household! It’s full of delicious, nutritious vegetables but so rich and comforting too.
I really do love this soup and fortunately the rest of my family agree. It’s super tasty but the best thing about it is how easy it is to put together. You just need a saucepan and a blender!
I have actually made this dish mostly in my thermomix but to be honest, there’s more to wash up when using it! However the blender in the thermomix does make for a slightly smoother soup.
So what about the sides for this gorgeous bowl? Well I think the popular choice of crusty bread is my go to accompaniment. It’s also great to pop some croutons in for extra texture, although I’m happy with just the pumpkin seeds.
Well this dish really is incredibly easy so there’s not much to be worried about at all! I would say you could jazz it up further with some chilli flakes if you like that kick or maybe you could even add some falafel to it for a more substantial meal. Non vegetarians might like to have it with my croquetas on the side or even my Vol au vents with Flaked salmon. (vegetarians can substitute mushrooms etc.. for the salmon as detailed in my recipe).
It’s so colorful and vibrant that I think it works pretty much all year round, especially if you live in London!
Hope you enjoy it – let me know what you think!
Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
- 500 g sweet potato peeled and chopped into 3cm chunks
- 250 g carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 red pepper remove core and chop into pieces
- 1 thumb of ginger peeled and grated
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and grated
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
- 400 ml tin coconut milk
- 150 ml vegetable stock
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- sriracha sauce, coconut cream, pumpkin seeds and coriander leaves to garnish
- Put the oil in a pan and add the onions – sweat until they are soft and starting to turn brown. Add the garlic and ginger and keep stirring.
- Now add the sweet potato and carrot and stir once more. After a minute, add the coconut milk, vegetable stock and spices.
- Bring the to boil and then reduce the heat. Add the red peppers and allow to simmer for 30 minutes. At this point the vegetables should be tender. Check them and if needed, let simmer for a further few minutes.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a blender. Blitz until smooth and taste and season. If desired pass through a fine sieve. (I don't normally do this but you might want to if serving up for a dinner party).
- Serve up immediately and garnish with the pumpkin seeds, sriracha sauce, coconut cream and coriander leaves.