Chilli Chocolate Cupcakes
I've concocted a fair few chilli chocolate recipes, all of which I will add to this blog in due course but today I made chilli chocolate cupcakes to celebrate World Chocolate Day (7 July) and they were pretty delicious. So much so that as I write this, two hours later, they are all gone!! So maybe you might need to make a double batch – as they are incredibly more-ish!
- Electric hand mixer
- 115 g Plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 115 g unsalted softened butter
- 115 g caster sugar
- 2 free range eggs
- 60 g plain chocolate melted
For the icing
- 150 g plain chocolate, in small pieces
- 200 ml double cream
- 140 g unsalted butter softened
- 280 g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. Put 12 cupcake cases into a cake tray
- Sift the flour, baking powder, cocoa, chilli powder and cinnamon into a large bowl
- Add the butter and caster sugar and beat together using an electric whisk until smooth
- Add the eggs one by one and whisk in until smooth
- Fold in the melted chocolate
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases. The consistency should be like a thick hummus!
- Bake in the oven for 20/22 minutes or until risen and firm to touch. Do the skewer test if you like! Transfer the cakes to a wire rack and leave to cool
- Meanwhile make the icing. Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of water and melt. Heat the cream until boiling, then pour over the chocolate and stir until smooth. Leave to cool for around 15 minutes until it starts to thicken
- Add the icing sugar to the butter and mix until smooth. Add the chocolate mixture to this and beat until smooth. Chill for 15 minutes
- Spoon the icing into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle. Pipe swirls of icing onto each cupcake and then decorate with sprinkles!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!