If you want the best vegan tomato and red pepper soup with added goodness in the shape of carrot, lentils and a multitude of spices, then you’ve come to the right place!
This soup is right up there in term of flavour as well as nutrition and it was devoured by everyone in less than 10 minutes!!
It is a vegan soup and it really does pack a punch – the addition of cumin and chilli powder for that warmth plus turmeric and paprika elevate it from a regular every day dish. Another bonus is that it’s super quick and super easy – always a winner when there’s little time and you need a healthy meal!
It’s also a great choice whatever the weather, Summer or Winter. THe vegetables used lend themselves to all seasons. The only thing is you may need to make extra, because you’ll definitely want more!
I chose to serve my tomato and red pepper soup with some gnocchi – there are both vegan and non vegan options for this, or you can make your own! Super tasty. Even better with some sourdough to dunk into that deliciousness! It really is a fantastic bowl of goodness and is so comforting too!
Vegan Tomato and Red Pepper Soup
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red peppers chopped quite small
- 1 medium carrot boiled and chopped
- 1 tin tomatoes or 400g ripe tomatoes – chopped
- 400 ml vegetable stock or 400g water plus a vegetable stock cube
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika plus more to serve
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder optional
- 1 handful red lentils
- 50 g coconut yoghurt for garnish
- 25 g basil
- black pepper and pumpkin seeds for seasoning
- Put the garlic and onions in a pan together with the olive oil and sweat for 5 minutes. Add the peppers and carrots and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, vegetable stock, lentils, salt, paprika, turmeric, cumin and chilli powder. Let simmer on the hob for 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Divide between four bowls and serve sprinkled with basil, yoghurt, pepper and pumpkin seeds